Bacon is also used for barding and larding roasts, especially game birds. Many people prefer to have their bacon smoked by using various types of woods. This process can take up to ten hours depending on the intensity of the flavor woods. Bacon may be eaten fried, baked, or grilled. It is commonly used in sandwiches. At present there is one way of preparing bacon the easy way without injecting any pumping pickle but applying only dry cure mixture to the sliced belly, boneless and skinless.
Production cost is only P 190.00 while commercial bacon can be bought at three hundred pesos (P3oo.oo) per kilogram.
Organic matters are incorporated in the pickle to minimize shrinkage like isolate and fibril. Carageenan from seaweeds is also incorporated to maintain crispiness of the bacon.
- 1 kg Pork belly or liempo, boneless, skinless
- 1 tbsp Salt, refined
- 1/2 tsp Curing salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar, refined/honey
- 1 tsp Phosphate
- 1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder
- 1 tbsp Isolate*
- 1 tsp Carageenan*
- 1/2 cup Water chilled
- 1/4 tsp Meat enhancer
- 1/4 tsp Smoke flavor
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/4 cup Fibrill
*These two ingredients minimize shrinkage in bacon and promotes better sliceability.
- Select good quality raw materials. Slice belly (bone less & skinless) paper thin.
- Apply ingredients previously dissolve in water on both sides.
- Cure at refrigeration temperature for 8-10 hours.
- Pack with styropore with cling wrap. (Arrange symetrically)
- For cooking, add little amount of fat to non stick pan.
- Serve with fried rice or put in sandwiches with garnishing.
All ingredients above are available at:
Spices and Food Mix House
107 E. Rodriguez Ave., Quezon City
Phone: 742-7866/0826, 411-1349
See also: Meat Processing Business
author: Lourdes S. Rivera, Marid Digest