- 1.5 kg Beef lean, ground
- 0.6 kg Pork lean, ground
- 0.50 Pork backfat, ground
- 100 g Salt refined
- 5 g Curing salt
- 8 g Phosphate
- 1.5 g Sodium erythorbate
- 13 g Carageenan
- 340 g Potato starch
- 100 g Skimmed milk
- 75 g TVP, dry
- 225 g Water (for hydration of TVP)
- 26 g Isolated soy protein (ISP)
- 130 g Water (for hydration of ISP)
- 80 g Sugar refined
- 7.5 g White pepper
- 2 g Onion powder
- 2 g Garlic powder
- 1 g Red cayenne powder
- 2.5 g Paprika
- 1.75 g Nutmeg
- 1.75 Ginger powder
- 5 g MSG
- 1.85 kg Ice, crushed
- 1 g per liter of water Allura red no. 40 (optional)
- #21 1 Strand Hotdog casing
- 6″x8″ Polyethylene bag
- Select good quality raw materials.
- Grind chilled meat using, 3.0 mm hole plate.
- Chop beef and pork at low speed. Add hydrate ISP.
- Add curing ingredients, except sodium erythorbate.
- Add half of ice required.
- Add all the rest of the fillers and extenders.
- Shift to a high speed.
- Add all the spices/seasonings.
- Add ground pork backfat.
- Add the remaining ice.
- Continue cutting for thorough blending 5-7 minutes cutting time, 11-i5° C emulsion temperature.
- Add sodium erythorbate in last minute of cutting time.
- Run through stuffer
- Link to desired length.
- Drape in smoke and hang to dry (30 minutes - 1 hour at room temperature).
- Smoke for 30 minutes at 55° C.
- Increase heat to 65° C for 15 minutes.
- Heat clean, tap water to 75° C. if desired, add allura red #40 to the water for color.
- Transfer smoked sausages to the pre-heated water.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes:
- Shower with cool, tap water and chill.
- Pack in polyethylene bags.
- Store in chiller or freezer.
You can buy all meat processing ingredients above at:
Spices and Food Mix House
107 E. Rodriguez Ave., Quezon City
Phone: 742-7866/0826, 411-1349
Author: Lourdes S. Rivera, Marid Digest, photo from Robert J. Steiner, streetdirectory.com